At these times I feel like I've got it so bad. Why can I not just have a little bit more to make my life easier? It's just not fair.
Well, no actually, it isn't fair. It isn't fair at all and I'll tell you why.
- If you are lucky enough to earn $50,000 a year you are in the top 3% of world wealth.
- If earn $20,000 a year (basic starting wage) you are in the top 13% of world wealth.
- Even if you are on Newstart and only earn $13,000 a year you are in the top 19%.
- 1.3 billion people live in extreme poverty and survive on the equivalent of $2 a day
If we were to live in a fair world a lot of the luck that we have would be spread a little more thinly. We are lucky we have so much.
So I feel it's important to spend some time doing our part for people who have no choice in where they live or what luck they've been dealt. The Hungry Babushka directed my attention to the Live Below the Line challenge that is coming up in a couple of weeks (6-10 May). The goal is to live on $2 a day for 5 days and experience what is like to survive on the extreme poverty line.
What can you do to help support Live Below the Line?
2. Or you can donate here to help the Oaktree Foundation raise money for those living in extreme poverty.
Let's all be grateful for what we have and spend some time thinking about others who aren't as lucky as we are in Australia.
If you do sign up share the links to your page below so we can support each other going forward.
I'll be posting thoughout the week my trials and successes.