Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas DIY Overload

I think everybody gets stressed at Christmas time. Some people are stressed because they have all the family coming for lunch and spend the weeks leading up to the big day cleaning every surface and preparing menus and desserts. Some people stress about how much Christmas is going to cost - another gift to buy, all that petrol driving from one place to another. Everything adding up. Some people stress because of the time commitments that seem to be endless - work parties, friend get together's, your family, their family, the other relatives that couldn't make it the first date.

A very ambitious plan

My stress comes from too much DIY. I'm doing my best to live my life without buying so much stuff, and that includes gifts for others. I'm aiming to upcycle, recycle and create from eco friendly resources as many Christmas gifts as possible. We generate so much stuff in this life and after an experiment I did a couple of years ago that involved not buying a single item of new clothing I just don't feel comfortable buying more stuff any more.

I've got a list of all the gifts I want to make and have been doing my best to cross them off. But right now, I am getting a great big dose of reality that there just isn't enough time. There isn't enough time to bake what I want to bake, to sew what I want to sew, to make the wrapping paper I want to use.

I realised this morning that I'm not enjoying the process any more, so it's time to let go. I've taken a good hard look at my Christmas list and have crossed off the more ambitious gift ideas and instead am going to go to the Bris Style Markets tomorrow night. I figure if I can't do it myself, I'm more than happy to support other talented creators.


What's your biggest Christmas stress at the moment? Time for an offload.

No comments:

Post a Comment