Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Living Below the Line - Day 1

End of day 1 - the pile is reducing scarily fast!

I was going to post this last night but after I ate dinner I was so tired I just went to bed.

Day 1 was very hard. I'd like to think that was the hardest hill to climb (shock to the system and all that) but I think that would be naively optimistic.

The first few hours were okay as I usually eat a late breakfast anyway. I managed to con myself in thinking I was having comforting cups of tea by drinking boiled cups of water. It seems to have worked to some extent as I am drinking one right now as I type this.

Breakfast consisted of a poached egg and two pieces of toast with butter. It was tasty, but didn't fill me up as much as I would have liked.

Poached egg on toast - 39c

By 10am I was starving again so I made a bowl of porridge which was possibly the most uninspiring thing I've ever eaten as I couldn't but anything on it. But it filled me up quite well.

Tasteless Porridge - 8c

I was trying to make it until 2ish until I ate lunch but only got to 1pm before I cracked and made my 2 minute noodles with some frozen vegetables thrown in. I left the broth in and slurped down every last drop. This was quite a satisfactory lunch.

2 minute noodles + vege in broth - 29c

Dinner was... sigh... dinner was horrible. I love my pasta, but I just couldn't love this pasta. Dinner was a combination of various factors that mixed to make the most disappointing dinner ever.

Disappointing pasta - 71c

Recipe for the worst pasta ever

  1. Take home brand pasta and mix with a sauce created out of only tin tomatoes, onion and garlic.
  2. Of course, you don't have any oil so you use a little butter to fry the garlic and onions with but that burns off so quickly your onions start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
  3. You are both not wanting to waste your precious onions and are so hungry you can't wait for anything to cook properly you tip the can of tomatoes in there.
  4. You taste the sauce like you would normally and are saddened to discover you can't taste any garlic or onion, just tinned tomato (and we all know how 'great' they taste).
  5. Dump the frozen vegetables in and basically just wait until they thaw.
  6. Now add your pasta and stare longingly towards the fridge where you have some cheese that you absolutely can't grate on to the top of it.
  7. Serve and scowl at your horrible dinner that you also have to eat tomorrow night because you cooked up two batches.

Then I curled up on the couch thinking I should attempt to get some of an assignment that is due tomorrow done, but felt so weak I just went to bed.

And it's only day 1!

Day 1 total = $1.47


Please support my effors the Live Below the Line Challenge by clicking here. Even a couple of dollars will make the difference! The money raised goes towards educating children in Cambodia and New Guinea in order to break the poverty cycle

4 comments:

  1. WOW! More power to you! I will be following this journey of yours. I know for a fact I could not do this. I guess if I had absolutely do it I could but sitting here reading what you ate there is no way. Congrats to you

    Following you through the May Blogging Challenge.

    I blog here and design here.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support. It's tough, but it's for a good cause - and has really changed my perspective on how lucky I am.

      Delete
  2. I love this post. I'm thinking that day two is going to be harder, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. Day two was pretty bad in the morning, but I think I'm over the worst of it.

      Delete